Responsibilities of Food Establishment Operators
Food safety is a joint responsibility. All operators of food processing and storage establishments are responsible for ensuring the hygiene of food products manufactured in the establishment. Operators are required to have a good understanding of the specifications and proper application of the food processing equipment used at their premises, as well as the cleaning and sanitation regime to maintain the equipment to ensure the safe processing of food. They are also required to ensure that the food products adhere to the Sale of Food Act and Food Regulations.
The food products are also required to be sent to accredited laboratories in Singapore on a regular basis for laboratory tests. You may access the list of accredited laboratories from here.
Change of Layout and Additional / Removal of Trade Activities
Licensees must obtain SFA’s approval for any changes to the existing layout or additional trade activities to be carried out in the premises before the start of any renovation works. The following documents must be accompany the application, which should be submitted via GoBusiness Licensing website:
A) Change in layout of premises:
- Existing layout
- Proposed layout
B) Additional Trade / New Products with change in existing process flow / layout:
- Proposed layout
- Process flows of all existing & new products
- Particulars of products including existing & new products using form
A copy of the document samples can be found here for your reference.
Upon receiving your application, SFA will evaluate the proposal and contact you for a discussion. You can only start renovation/construction works after SFA’s approval is given. Upon completion of the renovation/construction works, you are required to contact SFA to arrange for a site inspection.
Update of Licensee/Company Information or Changes in UEN
You must update SFA of any changes in your company’s particulars (company address, contact numbers, company name).
Submitting an Amendment Application
Please log in to the GoBusiness Licensing website and locate the specific licence that you wish to update/amend.
For changes in Business Entity/UEN number/location of licensed premises, a NEW licence application is required.
Submitting a New Licence Application
You can submit a new licence application via the GoBusiness Licensing website. Please note that a one-time application fee of S$157.50 (inclusive of 7% GST) applies.
Please refer to Application Process under Setting Up Food Establishment for the list of supporting documents required for the new application.
Use of Reefer Containers for Temporary Storage of Food
Licensees who require the temporary usage of reefer containers due to urgent storage constraints or renovation of the cold rooms within their premises must obtain SFA’s approval prior to usage.
Step 1: Application
Licensees are required to submit the following information on reefer containers to SFA for evaluation:
- Reason for the application
- Layout plan indicating the location of the reefer containers
- Types of food products that will be stored in the reefer containers
- Proposed duration of use
Step 2: On-site Assessment
SFA will evaluate the application and conduct on-site assessment before granting the approval for the usage of reefer containers based on the following criteria:
- The reefer containers should be located at the loading bay of their premises or as close to the food establishment as possible.
- The reefer containers must be well maintained in clean and pest-free condition.
- Temperature monitoring records and calibration of the temperature monitoring device must be properly documented.
- Only authorised personnel should have access to the reefer containers and the movement of food products, in and out of the containers, should be monitored and documented.
- Appropriate measures must be taken to protect the food from contamination and prevent any break in cold chain.
- Approvals from the relevant authorities, such as Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF), for the usage of the reefer containers must be obtained.
Additional Requirements for Pig and Poultry Slaughterhouses
All licensed pig and poultry slaughterhouses must submit the following statistics to SFA via the inspection & laboratory e-Services page:
- Statistics Submission Pig (Slaughter)
- Statistics Submission Pig (Temperature of Pig Carcasses)
- Statistics Submission Pig (Daily Admission)
- Statistics Submission Poultry (Condemnation)
- Statistics Submission Poultry (Daily Admission)