Food Farms

Starting a Farm

Technical Requirements for Farm Development

If you are thinking of setting up a land-based farm in Singapore, take a look at our Starting a Farm : An Industry Guide. This guide will provide you an overview of the regulatory requirements, procedures you will need to follow, including information on the various documents, fees and timelines involved. This guide also introduces each of the government agencies and departments overseeing the necessary permits should you wish to contact them to make specific enquiries.

SFA has organized a webinar, Building a Food Resilient Future, on 13 Oct 2020 to provide Qualified Persons and relevant professionals with an understanding of the growing local agri-food / tech sector and the opportunities it offers. Please see Webinar Presentation Slides and compiled Questions and Answer for more information”.

Farm Plans & Development

Farm Development/Amendment Plan Submission

Step 1. Get clearance and approval

You have to submit these plans SFA for clearance and BCA for building plan approval:

  • farm layout plans
  • building plans
Step 2: Engage a Qualified Person before submitting plans

You have to engage an Qualified Person (Architect or Professional Engineer) to assist you in the submission of your farm plans.

Step 3: Submit farm plans

Your Qualified Person has to submit the farm plans to SFA for clearance and to BCA for building plan approval using opens in a new windowe-submission (Corenet system).

A meeting can be arranged together with your Qualified Person to find out more about the requirements for the design of the farm and submission of farm plans to SFA and BCA for approval.

For more clarifications on the submission of farm plans, please contact:

Ms Michelle Thoo

Guidelines for Visitor Amenities

The opens in a new windowUrban Redevelopment Authority (URA) has drawn up these guidelines for farm operators who are interested to include visitor amenities on their farms:

Type of Use Maximum allowable Gross Floor Area
  • Snack bar
  • Café
  • Restaurant
  • Outdoor refreshment areas
  • Retail outlets (for sale of farm and non-farm products like souvenirs)
200 sqm
  • Visitor centre (For use as a museum or education centre to showcase farm-related exhibits like its local history)
200 sqm

Development Charge or differential premium will be levied for the visitor amenities. You have to submit your development plans for the proposed visitor amenities, together with your business proposals to SFA for endorsement before submission of the Development Application to URA.

Renewing tenancy agreement for farms

Short-term tenancies of land for farming are on a 1-year to 3-year term.

Existing tenants who wish to apply for renewal of tenancy for another term should write to SFA 3 months before the existing tenancy expires at:

Singapore Food Agency
Food Infra Development & Management Division
52 Jurong Gateway Road
Singapore 608550

Renewal of tenancy letter

You will be informed in writing if your request for renewal of tenancy has been approved. In the letter, you will be informed of:

  • new terms of tenancy
  • amount of payment for the annual land rent and other charges
Upon acceptance of renewal

You need to make the required payment by the stated due date to signify acceptance of the new terms of tenancy. You also have to produce a fresh security deposit equivalent to 3-month of the annual land rent either in:

  • cheque
  • banker's guarantee
  • insurance bond

You have to go to the SFA office to execute the new Tenancy Agreement and also produce a cashier order to the Commissioner of Stamp Duties for payment of stamp fees for the Tenancy Agreement.

Extension of Land Leases for Farms

Existing leasehold farm owners who want to apply for an extension of their existing land leases should write to:

Commissioner of Lands, Singapore Land Authority
Revenue House 55 Newton Road, #12-01
Singapore 307987

Applying for a Licence for Farm

A farm means any land or premises, whether enclosed by fencing, is used for the keeping, rearing, breeding or boarding of animals or birds for commercial purposes or the cultivation of plants for commercial production.

You will need to apply for a farm licence when your leasehold has been successfully tendered or tenancy land has been approved for farming. As per licence application requirement, you have to be the lessee or tenant of the farmland or the premises approved for farming use.

The licence fee payable is S$100 per annum.

To apply for a Licence for Farm, please follow the following steps indicated in the table below:

Step 1: Submit a Farm Business Proposal here to SFA for evaluation. Click here for more information on submission of Farm Business Proposal.

Step 2: Upon receiving SFA's approval on the submitted Farm Business Proposal, the applicant is to submit a Licence application here within 3 months from the date of approval notification. Click here for the Application Information for Licence for Farm.  

Licensing conditions

For more information on the Licensing Conditions, please refer to the respective attachments below: