AVA's beginnings pre-date an independent Singapore. The Primary Production Department (PPD) was formed on 25 Jun 1959, with the merger of 5 divisions of Singapore's colonial administration -- Agriculture, Veterinary, Co-operative, Fisheries, and Rural -- for a coordinated approach to regulating and developing Singapore's farming and fishing industry.
To address the increasingly challenging task of maintaining Singapore's high standards of food safety, animal, plant, and public health, PPD was restructured into a statutory board, AVA on 1 April 2000. AVA had a more autonomous framework that allowed it to be more responsive and flexible to meet future challenges.
Read our special 15th anniversary commemorative e-book here.